Being a NRI (Non Resident Indian) is fun. NRI, have to pay Income tax as per law of respective countries where you are residing. But there are certain incomes for which NRI’s have have to pay Income tax in India.
FAQ’s on NRI (Non Resident Indian) and queries on Income tax on NRI is addressed below:
Que: I am an NRI for last 5 years, and I am earning rent from property that I have let out in India? Do I need to file Income Tax Return in India? Mohit, Italy
Ans: If you have given a House property on rent, you can claim an adhoc deduction of 30% of net annual value as repairs and maintenance expenses. You can also claim a deduction on interest on Housing loan.
Que) My status is NRI and during last year i have earned certain Interest from my bank in India and Bank has deducted TDS on Interest. How can I Claim Income Tax refund on the TDS so Deducted? Kishan, Australia
We can also assist in filing your Income tax return and getting Income tax Refunds. Visit here for filing your Income tax Return.
Que) How can IncomeTaxReturnIndia.com assist me in Getting Income tax Refund? Sumita, America.
Ans) We can assist in filing Income tax Return.
- Just Upload your Form 16A,
- Make payment and
- We will file Income tax return for you.
- You need to send ITR- V (Income tax Acknowledgement form) to Income Tax CPC, Bangalore Office
Within 3-4 months Income tax refund Amount will be credited in your Saving Bank Account.
Que) I have made some sales in shares during the year and I have earned some profits. My only Income in India is capital gain from shares. Being NRI do I Still Require to file Income tax return in India? Hanish, London
NRI’s don’t get benefit of Exemption limit on basis of age or gender that is available to resident Indians.
Income tax rate for Short term capital gains on equity shares and equity mutual funds is 15% and long term capital gains on securities and assets where tax rate is either 20% or 10% without indexation.
Que ) Which Income are exempt from Income tax for NRI’s? Divya, Singapore
Ans: Following Incomes are exempt for NRI’s.
- Dividends from equity shares and equity mutual funds is tax free in India
- Interest received on the NRE account and FCNR account is tax free
- Long term capital gains on equity shares and equity mutual funds, that is capital gains from sale after one year of purchase, are tax free in India (provided you pay securities transaction tax at time of sale)
- Income from interest on National Saving Certificate VI/VII issue and notified bonds purchased by you in foreign exchange.
This mean, even if your earnings from these Incomes is more than maximum exemption limit , you don’t have to file Income tax Return.
Que) I have got gift from My Mother and I am an NRI. Do i have to pay tax on Gift ? Shruti, America
Ans: There is no income tax on gifts received from your parents or close relatives. Visit here for more details on Income tax on Gifts.
Que: My Status is NRI and I have got only interest Income from Bank In India and TDS is already deducted. Do I still need to file my Income Tax Return? Rahul, Canada
Ans) Section 115G states that Income Tax Return not to be filed by a non-resident Indian under sub-section (1) of section 139 if—
(a) his total income in respect of which he is assessable under this Act during the previous year consisted only of investment income or income by way of long-term capital gains or both; and
(b) the tax deductible at source ( TDS) under the provisions of Chapter XVII-B has been deducted from such income.
But you should file your Income tax return to get refund for TDS that has been deducted.
Que) What is last date for filing Income tax return . Is there any penalty for not filing Income tax return for NRI’s?
Ans) Last date for Filing Return is 31st July.
- If you do not have any tax payable (that is all your tax has been deducted at source), you can still file your tax return by 31st March 2013 without any penalties
- If you do have tax payable, you can still file your returns by 31st March 2013 but you will be charged an interest of 1% per month for every month of delay starting from 31st July 2012 till the time you file your tax returns
- If you do not file your tax returns even by the 31st of March 2013, you may be charged a penalty of Rs 5,000 for every year of delay or sometimes may not be able to file your returns at all after 2014.
Que) Do NRI get Income tax deduction under section 80C ? Vidhi, Paris
Ans) You can take benefit of Section 80C for Investment made under section 80C in – Schemes such as PPF, life insurance premiums, equity linked saving schemes, etc. up to a total of Rs 1 lakh per annum.
Que) I want to transfer remittances from Dubai to my account here in India? What is the Income tax implication on such transfer for Non Resident Indian ? Amit, Dubai
Ans) Since income earned outside India falls outside the purview of the IT Act, you cannot be taxed on remittances to India. So you can send money to your own accounts in India without any fear of attracting tax. You can utilize the money for any purpose you like.
When you are remitting money to India, you will not be taxed unless the transfer is compensation received against services in the country which then results in the amount being chargeable to tax for the recipient.